Sunday, July 24, 2011

Meatballs???.....No, WHEATBALLS!

I've been MIA on the blog for awhile....I've had a weird past couple of weeks, so forgive me!

Anywho, I am going to make a WHEATBALL SUB in a few days. To make this delightfulness, I need to make (ahead of time)

A) Wheatballs
B) Marinara Sauce
C) "Cheese Sauce"

FIRST, LET'S MAKE WHEATBALLS!

This recipe comes from Vegan On The Cheap. :)


So to make wheatballs, you will need chickpeas, raw mushrooms, tomato paste, soy sauce, olive oil, wheat gluten flour, bread crumbs, fresh parsley, nutritional yeast, salt, pepper, paprika, dried basil, and dried oregano. Yeah, it's a lot of stuff. Get over it.



You're supposed to put the chickpeas, chopped mushrooms, parsley, and minced garlic into a food processor and chop it up till it's coursely ground. I am not fancy enough to have a food processor, so I mashed the chickpeas with my hands and I chopped the mushrooms up really fine, and I chopped the parsley up really fine, and I mixed the garlic into this delightful batter.


After that, you basically mix in all the rest of the shit until all the ingredients are well-dispersed and the smell delights you.


Then you're going to knead the dough! Heehee! The cool thing about this is that you eventually find that kneading the dough will bring out the elasticity of the wheat gluten. The batter will become more rubbery and connected.



Then you're gonna make WHEATBALLS.

If you want, you can just put all the wheatball dough into one giant wheatball.


With this, you could probably play a game of bowling. Unfortunately, the olive oil in the wheatball will make your bowling ball slicker than the other kids' bowling balls, they will all get jealous, and claim you're cheating.

So instead, you can make one tiny wheatball...

And turn it into a clown nose.


Or, you can just use a bunch of tiny wheatballs as legitimate wheatballs, then put them on a lightly oiled baking sheet, and bake them at 375 for about 20 minutes.


You know, do what you want.

RATINGS:

Deliciousness: 5/5 
They taste hearty and have an AWESOME texture. The very Italian-y spices make them taste very homey, comfort-food-ish. 


Ease of Preparation: 2/5
If you have a food processor, I'm sure this is super easy. But I had to chop everything up myself. :(

Prettiness: 5/5 
They're definitely way cuter than meatballs. The combination of ingredients gives it a rich variety of colors and textures. Super fancy looking. 

No comments:

Post a Comment