Friday, June 8, 2012

Vegan Doggies?

So, I'm adopting a dog.



His name is Jackson and he's a black lab. He's about a year and a half old and I've known him since he was a teensy puppy. I'm adopting him from a friend.

My question to all my readers is this:

Can a dog be vegan? 

FURTHER.

Should a dog be vegan?

I have done a little research on this subject. It looks like cats are definitely omnivorous, but for dogs...it's not so certain.

Yes, based on articles like this: http://thebark.com/content/vegan-dogs , it looks like dogs can survive as vegans. And this dog-owner says her puppy is in tip-top health.

I'm not going to feed Jackson a vegan diet because this diet works for him and he's totally healthy from what I can see.

But I'm curious to see what ya'll bitches have to say about this.

Comments?

GO.


<3

5 comments:

  1. my puppy xena was vegan because she was allergic to animal protein! she would break out in a really bad rash (which was just the start of it).
    i don't think people SHOULD make their dogs vegan, but it is certainly doable and not harmful to the animal if it is something that is important to you.
    just like people you just need to make sure they have a balanced diet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Check out this link: http://www.vegan-heartland.com/2012/06/making-your-own-vegan-dog-food.html

    This is NOT Kim Sheridan, it is her assistant Ashley. I don't know why my account is linked to her name, but I don't have time to figure it out. This link is a well researched answer to your questions.

    At one point, and maybe now, the oldest living dog was a Vegan: http://kimsheridan.com/compassion_circle/stories-articles/articles/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Abbie,
    I'm new to your blog, so I'm not sure if things have changed for Jackson, but I thought I'd add my two cents. My previous dog went vegan with me and was happy and healthy. My new puppy has also just transitioned to a vegan diet (she was not vegan at her rescue org)and is doing great. I wouldn't raise a child as a non-vegan, so why a pet? Even the expensive dog foods are loaded up with fillers and questionable ingredients; it's not only about vegan ethics, but also the longterm health of your dog.

    As a vegan, it's wonderful to share your knowledge and love of healthy foods with someone so close to you. And, let's face it, it also prevents the grossness of having non-vegan food in your home.

    I've found that most traditional vets do not endorse it- simply out of lack of information, but I've been lucky to have two that trust my sense of responsibility. Also, check out Armaiti May, vegan vet, when you have a chance.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Check out a video on youtube by Freelee, she feeds her dogs a vegan diet. I don't have a dog but my rat is on a veg diet and is pretty old for a rat. So it works for him :)

    ReplyDelete